Friday, December 14, 2007

A tale of 2 halves and a dodgy computer.

I've had a longish rest since my last session on Tuesday. However, that didn't stop me feeling tired from a busy week . I've found that no matter how slow I go, commuting into work really takes it out of me. It's only about 10 miles into work, but it's all stop...start....stop....start. I'm not sure why it should be so tiring but for me it is. Added to this is the fact that these miles are 'junk' miles. There's no training going on since I'm normally aware that I'm either recovering from a turbo session or preparing for one so either way I'm taking it really easy.

It could of course just be that I'm too old and infirm for all this malarkey, which is a more likely conclusion.

Anyway, tonight I got out all my gear out and got ready for the dreaded 2x20 (yes, it's already the dreaded 2x20).
First session went quite well. I felt noticeably stronger than I have in a while and noticed that I was holding a slightly higher wattage than my last session. My pulse rose from the mid 160's up to the mid 170's over the session with an average of 168bpm. Average watts were 294 w which I was quite pleased about.

The second session was a different story. Much harder. I just couldn't get going at all. I don't know if I didn't rest enough between sessions or I rested too long. I was struggling to hold 270w and my legs felt really dead. Half way through I was averaging around 285-ish watts, but it was a real struggle and it was very hard to finish the session. When I looked at the average watts, my computer/power meter went a bit schizoid and told me that I'd averaged 1456 watts. I know it was a hard session, but it wasn't that hard! I hope my Kinetic computer isn't about to break down. I've heard stories of a few breaking very easily. If it happens again, I'll have to send it back, I think.

I'm going to have a rest for a couple of days. Apart from having the proverbial 'wooden legs' after tonights session, I'm visiting some friends in Wales for the weekend, so won't be able to do any cycling.

No comments: