Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Fun Tuesday night in.....changing tyres .

After Neil's comments on the problems of using Spesh Armadillo tyres, I thought maybe I should change the rear tyre back to the Rubino I had on before. I did a roll test and found that the circumference is quite a bit different to the Rubino, so I had to recalibrate the Kinetic computer. Tapped in 2120 and got things set up in the garage, much to the amusement of my wife who thinks I'm barking mad.

She has a point.

Anyway, off I went on my first 20 mins. I started off a bit slowish.It always takes me time to get going even after a good warm up. Towards the end I was aware I'd gone to slow early on and had to push it a bit.Pulse up to 180 for the last couple of minutes which isn't threshold territory. It's quite a bit over . Anyway, came in with 289watts and an average pulse of 173 bpm. Ok, but not that great.

Tok's today asked me what FTP I'd like to eventually get to. 300watts would be nice,I said, but that would mean a 20 min power of 300/0.95w = 316w which I'm a long long way off at the moment. I don't think it's impossible though (famous last words).

In between sessions I began to worry about Neil's comment about the Armedillo's. I imagined I was losing watts by using this rear tyre. Heck i was probably putting out 350 watts in that first session but the tyre makes the computer think it's only 289. So I quickly changed back tyre to the Rubino and re-calibrated to computer to 2110.Anyway, it didn't make much difference.
2nd 20 min session went to form.....i.e. a lot slower than the first. I tried to keep the pace consistent and didn't go mental in the last 5 minutes. 282watts and 169 bpm.

No comments: