Monday, December 10, 2007

1x20 min

Didn't have time to do a full 2x20 (had a dinner date with people from work), so instead I did a 1x20 and thought I would use it as a 20 min test to see how many watts I could produce. So, I wasn’t going to ease off a notch like I did on my first session since I knew I didn’t have a second 20 min to do after the first.
This got me thinking that maybe it would be better to just do 1x20 mins and add 5 mins a month ,say. After all, it is only just December and I don’t intend to race until May probably. Far better to start slow and build up gradually rather than killing myself on 2x20’s twice a week and giving up in Feb!

I don’t know. I’m new to all this, so I’ll just play it by ear!

Anyway, got in from work, got changed kissed the wife and set up the KK in double quick time and warmed up quickly. I knew I had only 20 mins so I went out pretty hard. By halfway, my pulse was a tad over my threshold (or what I think is my threshold) heart rate, at 176bpm. It was rising alarmingly. For the last 5 mins it was hovering around 180bpm. I felt in control, breathing was ok. It wasn’t like I was on the ragged edge. However, the last 3 mins did drag a lot!
Anyway, when I looked at my average watts for the 20 min, I was pleased to see 305w!
I don’t think I’ll be replicating this again anytime soon. Ideally I’d like to keep it at between 280 and 290w and gradually increase the time to 30 mins, maybe 40 mins.

No comments: